The IPCRG is committed to an education strategy that supports the development and improvement of primary care respiratory medicine. Our priorities are to support education or quality improvement projects that are of practical value to primary care practitioners, policy makers and patients in both low, middle and high income countries. We prioritise those that can demonstrate the value of primary care to policy-makers, our member countries and global community of practice.
We anticipate that the education/quality improvement programmes we support will need to draw on the expertise of clinicians and educationalists with significant experience of learning and change in health, primary care and other community settings. Local knowledge and experience is essential given the varying nature of IPCRG's member countries. Collaboration between various teams and professionals is a likely characteristic of our work in this area.
Through our educational programmes we want to:
- Promote good clinical respiratory practice
- Share knowledge and practice
- Build on established and successful models of education and improvement
- Build educational capacity in countries with little or no current primary care respiratory educational activity including low and middle income countries
- Focus on effective programme implementation by actively linking education and research (implementation studies, feeding research findings into education programmes, evaluation of education initiatives, feeding outcomes of education into new research)
- Consolidate knowledge about what makes a difference to clinical behavior and organizational factors influencing clinical practice and patient outcomes.
In 2011/12, we undertook a review of the literature on educational and quality improvement approaches and their relationship to improved patient outcomes - this work helped us to develop a framework for the development of our own educational programmes and those we endorse; it also outlines the criteria which underpin the selection process for the IPCRG E-Quality Programme.
Our flagship programme is the E-Quality programme.
The literature review has now been published and a copy is available here